FTP (file transfer protocol) is used to send documents from
your computer to another computer (for example the one where your pages are
hosted), but you can also get files from remote computers to yours. WS_FTP_LE
is the most popular program used for these transfers on the Web. You can have
it for free from Ipswitch.
- Load up your WS_FTP program.
- When the program opens up, click Connect.
- In the pop-up menu that appears, choose from the profile names present,
or click New.
- If you click New, for Profile Name, enter My Page or Yourname.com or
whatever you wish to call the profile.
- For Host Name enter Yourname.com (this is will be given to you by your
- For Host Type leave it set at Automatic detect.
- Enter your userid and password. Ignore the Account box (unless you were
specifically given one).
- Under Remote Host enter the path provided by your hosting company.
- Under local PC, enter the drive your files are on, for example a:\ or
- You can click Save Password if you are on your home PC or if you will
transfer files more than once.
- Click Ok to connect the session.
- When the session opens, your local files will appear on the left, and
your files on the host computer will be on the right.
- Ensure the button labelled Binary is selected for transfer type (this
usually works well for all kinds of files -- however, the correct way
is to select 'Binary' for transfering images or graphics and 'ASCII' for
sending text files).
- To transfer a file, simply click on it, and click the directional arrow
to send it where you want it to go.
- There will be a pop up box indicating the progress of your transfer
(how much time left, etc.).
- When the transfer is done, the directory will refresh itself, and the
file you transferred will now appear listed.
- You can send multiple files by clicking on the first file, then holding
down the shift button click on the last file you want to send. Everything
between these files will also be sent.
- MKDIR - make directory. Use MKDIR on the right side to make a directory
on the server, and MKDIR on the left to make a directory on your computer.
- DIRINFO - show directory list with file permissions.
- VIEW - view the selected file in notepad.
- RENAME - rename the selected file.
- REFRESH - refresh file/directory list.
- EXEC - execute the file.